Tuesday 29 September 2009

Michelmas

Sorry it's been a while - I've had a lot going on: the rest of the potatoes to dig, several barrowloads of fruit and vegetables to deal with, a visit from my mother, a christening, and a Very Big Wedding Indeed. It's a good job I managed to pick some blackberries yesterday, as after Michelmas the Devil is supposed to spit on them. Or worse.

Lovely John D showed me my new allotment yesterday. At least I think there was an allotment there somewhere beneath all the weeds.

"How much to you want?" he asked me.

I tried to plump for an amount somewhere between a size that wouldn't be too daunting, yet wouldn't seem ungrateful. It wasn't easy. Anyway, John in his kindness has offered to dig it over for me. Just this once. But after that, all that mares' tail will be mine, all mine.

The new landlords moved into the Volly last week (although I'm not sure Arkells has got round to updating the website yet). Francois is French and used to be a chef on the QE2, so I have high hopes for the food. Olives and dipping oil have been mentioned... Mike comes from just over the border in Gloucestershire, but I don't think we should hold that against him. He has a working cocker spaniel called Eddie with a full tail, so he must be all right. Actually, it probably means he's a bit mad.

Alex, who's not quite eleven, spotted Adam walking down there on Friday evening to check it out, and grabbed his bike.

"I'm just popping down to the pub with Adam, Mum."

I've made Mike promise not to serve him for seven more years. Which may well be an improvement on previous service.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmm, French chef in the pub. Should be interesting...unless he is from Brittany and favours Andouille?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I couldn't resist popping over here but nearly fainted clean way at Elzabeth's comment and memories of the Andouille factory Tom, Ma and I visited. Not good to have your blackberries spat on by the Devil - not that there are any left round here to be spat on, they have been stripped by the natives. John sounds a good chap to dig your allotment over for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thou art an oracle of information. Thank you for returning my knitting magazines. Look forward to seeing the finished article!

    ReplyDelete