Thursday 21 May 2009

ASBO animals

Men at work? No, it’s tunnelling badgers who are responsible for this unsightly heap of sand in a field just off West Street. Futher inspection shows a deep hole that’s just the right size for tripping up an unsuspecting rambler, swallowing a curious terrier or dispatching a horse to the vet’s with a broken leg. And there’s more – 27 molehills in a nearby garden at the last count.
Just this week I’ve witnessed jaywalking deer – two chunky bucks cantered out in front of me as I hurtled along the Swindon Road – well, not exactly hurtled – my car is almost 20 years old, and as Richard at Somerford Motors will tell you, its hurtling days are long past. Thank goodness. If I’d have been going a few miles an hour faster, or the deer had chosen a second or two earlier to dash out, it would have been a different story.

“I hope you’d have had the presence of mind to sling it in the back of the car and take it off to Michael Thomas for butchering,” suggested my husband, with typical concern for my health and safety. But I digress…

In the last few days we’ve had burrowing badgers, menancing moles, jaywalking deer, kamikaze pheasants – and even the odd baby rabbit dashing out from the hedgerows in a dangerous game of chicken.

I’m all for encouraging wildlife, but it has to be the right sort of wildlife…

No comments:

Post a Comment